Bioheat and Ultra-Low Sulfur Fuel
Reformulated fuel makes oilheat cleaner and greener
The quality of your heating oil has a big impact on how efficiently your system runs and how long your equipment lasts. That’s why your Michigan heating oil company delivers the cleanest fuel possible. It’s better for the environment and better for your heating system.
The oilheat industry continues to undergo a revolution that is significantly improving oilheat’s efficiency and cleanliness, thanks to the combination of ultra-low-sulfur heating oil (ULSHO) and the advent of Bioheat®.
Fast facts about ULSHO and Bioheat®
- ULSHO has 99% less sulfur in it than standard heating oil.
- The changeover to ULSHO has resulted in a reduction in emissions of over 70%, compared with the emissions produced by traditional heating fuel.
- You benefit from better heating efficiency and easier maintenance, since ULSHO creates fewer deposits on heat exchangers.
- ULSHO allows for the introduction of super-efficient heating systems, which are already being used with great results outside of the United States.
- A buildup of sulfur in the heating system can lead to system maintenance issues. The drastic reduction of sulfur means that there will be far fewer system issues, which will lead to lower maintenance costs for Michigan homeowners.
- Because there is virtually no sulfur in the heating system thanks to ULSHO, your oil heating system can burn the fuel more efficiently, leading to lower heating bills.
- While regular heating oil has been very clean for decades, ULSHO is even cleaner, producing near-zero particulate emissions.
- Many gallons of heating oil also include Bioheat, a blend of ULSHO and renewable materials like vegetable oils. Because Bioheat integrates seamlessly with all heating oil systems, no changes to your heating system are necessary!
- The National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) continues to research and develop oil heating equipment and biofuel that’s cleaner and more efficient than before. The overall goal is to transition to even higher levels of Bioheat fuel that can be matched to highly efficient, groundbreaking equipment.
Only the Beginning
The quality of heating oil will get even better in the years ahead! Soon, oil-heated homes could be using even cleaner burning bio-blends.
The oilheat industry is excited by these new opportunities because they will positively influence the long-term future of the industry and the environment while uplifting the oilheat experience for millions of customers.
Knowing more about today’s oilheat in Michigan will make you feel good about how you heat your home—now and well into the future. That’s why it’s important for you to know that with every passing year, heating oil continues its evolvement into a newer, cleaner and more efficient fuel.
—John Huber, President, National Oilheat Research Alliance