Top Reasons to Choose Heating Oil: Clean, Abundant, Safe, Efficient—Part One
Clean, efficient oilheat continues to keep many homes in Michigan warm and safe, even during the coldest of Midwestern winters. You can continue to depend on this clean, efficient and safe heating source to keep you comfortable in the years ahead. You can feel secure as well because historic levels of domestic oil production have given us an abundant supply of heating oil.
Let’s begin by taking a closer look at the clean-burning properties of heating oil and how it has evolved into a more environmentally fuel.
Home heating oil has become progressively cleaner
The oilheat industry continues to undergo a revolution that is significantly improving oilheat’s cleanliness as well as efficiency, thanks to the combination of ultra-low-sulfur heating oil (ULSHO) and the advent of Bioheat®.
Here are a few reasons why you are benefitting from this:
- A buildup of sulfur in the heating system can lead to system maintenance issues. The drastic reduction of sulfur in heating oil means that there will be far fewer system issues, which will lead to lower maintenance costs for Michigan homeowners.
- Because there is virtually no sulfur in the heating system thanks to ultra-low sulfur fuel, your oil system can burn the fuel more efficiently, leading to lower heating bills.
- While regular heating oil has been very clean for decades, the ultra-low sulfur heating oil is even cleaner, producing near-zero particulate emissions.
- Ultra-low sulfur fuel requires no modifications to your existing system.
- Many gallons of heating oil also include Bioheat® — a blend of ULSHO and renewable materials like vegetable oils. Because Bioheat® integrates seamlessly with all heating oil systems, no changes to your heating system are necessary!
- The National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) continues to research and develop oil heating equipment and biofuel that’s cleaner and more efficient than before. The overall goal is to transition to even higher levels of Bioheat® fuel that can be matched to highly efficient, groundbreaking equipment.
Read more about Bioheat® and ultra-low sulfur fuel here.
Beyond vast improvements in fuel quality, there have been many advances in heating oil equipment, including oil storage tanks. Designed with corrosion-resistant materials, today’s tanks can last for decades. New technology allows for remote monitoring to protect against the rare event of a leak and guarantees that you will always have a sufficient supply of heating oil on hand.
In our next post, we’ll continue to review other great oilheat benefits—including abundance, safety and efficiency.